Saturday, September 4, 2010

A new year and a new new blog post

This marks the first Saturday following the first week of school for the 2010-2011 school year. The fun and passion of teaching has surged back into me after a long summer of fun in the sun. With the linoleum floors gleaming and the bulletin boards bare the blank canvas that is the academic year prepares itself. I took a few brush strokes and I began an abstract mosaic of learning. With ideas and expectations planted, I hope the spring examinations will prove to be a bountiful harvest.

With the school year a foot, new tests present themselves. One of the largest and most interested "mountains" that needs my attention was rose to the attention of the people of Connecticut like a flare burning bright in the darkness of night. The questions that I have, they have no answers? They only develop a desire, deep within me, to find how I, one teacher can try to lessen this gap. How can I make difference? Can I make a difference when i am so different from those I teach? i am not from the city and I am not poor? I don't 'know' what they are doing in their neighborhoods and their friends and i feel I am better off that way. Or am I?

Well... I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment