Thursday, November 19, 2009

Illumination in 140 characters

Been playing around with Twitter. Then played around on Facebook to do some croudsourcing about the platform designed to...

My post went like this:

Anyone use Twitter? Please enlighten me as to how and why? I am doing a project for my class on social networking, so I figured I would use one to collect my data!

This is what I got in response:

Derek Cook: people use twitter becasue they have a constant need to feel wanted so if people are stalking them they feel better about themselves

David Montgomery How cleaver and immensly sardonic!

Bryan Pasqualucci: use Omeagle, it can be an example of terrible social networking

John Denton: I use Twitter to stay updated with directors, and what they're working on, they also give tips on filmmaking which I like, but you can pretty much get any kind of news through Twitter, it's micro blogging.

David Montgomery: John, like whom?

John Denton: I follow: Eli Roth, Kevin Smith, David Lynch, Edgar Wright, Richard Kelly, Simon Pegg, Joblo.com, NPH, etc.

Thought this was something interesting to reveal however it did not give me the closing that I was looking for. I still have my reservations about Twitter. What better way to put your mind at ease than to Google what you should be thinking.

I came across an interesting article: What's It All About, Twitter?

the web address is: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2320445,00.asp

This article made the following claims:

If you haven't visited Twitter, you should. Reading the public front page (you can access this "Everyone" page only after you've set up your own account) is like standing in the middle of New York City's Grand Central Terminal and having every single person pause to tell you, in 140 characters or less, exactly what they're doing or thinking at that moment.

IF THAT DOES NOT SELL YOU THIS MIGHT:

So, is the meaning of Twitter more and more followers? Jesus accrued millions of followers. Certainly, his intention was not just to be "followed." That can't be the goal here, either. But as I Twitter incessantly and wait for that flash of light—the "aha!" moment—I grow increasingly frustrated and disappointed. Despite my efforts (I even put my Twitter address in my twice-weekly What's New Now newsletter), nothing is happening!

Still not satisfied, what about now?

John C. Dvorak and I talked about the value of Twitter last week, and I told him that as far as I could tell, there is none. "Au contraire, my friend," said John. He once asked his legion of Twitterers to tell him where and when presidential nominee Barack Obama made a particular statement. Within minutes, he had his answer—many times over. I have to admit that when I post a question in Twitter, someone usually answers, though the answer isn't always useful. Clearly, if I had 100 times more followers, I could, potentially, mobilize a legion of fellow Twitterers to answer my questions and maybe even do my bidding.

Getting there? Beginning to? Me neither!

No comments:

Post a Comment